Primary Source Material
on the Soldiers and the Battles
Home The Armies The Soldiers The Battles Civilians Articles
If this website has been useful to you, please consider making a Donation.

Your support will help keep this website free for everyone, and will allow us to do more research. Thank you for your support!

4th Wisconsin Light Battery
in the American Civil War

Regimental History

Fourth Wisconsin Light Battery, — Capts., John F. Vallee, George B. Easterly, Dorman L. Noggle; First Lieuts., John F. Valee, George B. Easterly, Martin H. McDevitt, William P. Powers, Burr Maxwell, Spencer S. Hillier, Dorman L. Noggle, Robert Campbell; Second Lieuts., Andrew H. Hunt, Charles A. Rathbun, George R. Wright, Dorman L. Noggle, Burr Maxwell, Delos H. Cady, Martin H. McDevitt, Alexander See, George R. Wright, Dorman L. Noggle, Levi Westinghouse, Robert Campbell, Benjamin Brown. This battery was organized at Beloit, Sept. 14, 1861, and was sent to Camp Utley, Racine, Sept. 19. It was mustered in Oct. 1 and left the state Jan. 21, 1862, for Washington, but was sent at once to Fortress Monroe, where it was put in charge of the barbette guns and spent the summer. It had the honor of firing the gun "Union" during the engagement between the Monitor and Merrimac. When fully equipped it was sent to Camp Hamilton near Hampton, Va., and was engaged there in garrison duty until Jan. 11, 1863. It was then ordered to Suffolk and assisted in the defense against Longstreet during April. It was at West Point during May, constructing fortifications, and joined Keyes' expedition toward Richmond in June, a junction with Dix's forces being effected on the 29th. The battery went into camp at Yorktown July 10, was ordered to Gloucester Point Aug. 25, and remained there until Oct. 11, when it was attached to Getty's command at Portsmouth for permanent duty. It engaged in small expeditions and reconnoissances until April 23, 1864, when it was assigned to the artillery brigade, 1st division, 18th army corps, which moved up the James river and took part in the two days engagements about Fort Clinton on the Appomattox. It was under fire at Proctor's creek, near Drewry's bluff and covered the army's rear as it retired. It took position in the intrenchments on Bermuda Hundred, where it remained until June 4, when it was attached to Kautz's cavalry division, with which it participated in the early assaults on Petersburg, at one time being exposed for 2 hours to a concentrated fire of 14 guns. On July 8 the entire battery was converted into horse artillery and on the 27th the left section moved with the cavalry and participated in the battle of Malvern hill. The right section made a short expedition at the same time to Lighthouse point on the James and on Aug. 4 went to Prince George Court House. The battery returned to Petersburg and was in numerous engagements with the Army of the Potomac in and about Richmond. It was mustered out July 3, 1865. Its original strength was 151. Gain by recruits, 62; substitutes, 38; reenlistments, 43; total, 294. Loss by death, 24; missing, 1; desertion, 15; transfer, 1; discharge, 82; mustered out, 171.

Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing Company, 1908 - Volume 4

Whats New
About Us

Copyright 2010 by
A Division of