Fourth Wisconsin Light Battery, — Capts., John F. Vallee, George B.
Easterly, Dorman L. Noggle; First Lieuts., John F. Valee, George B.
Easterly, Martin H. McDevitt, William P. Powers, Burr Maxwell, Spencer
S. Hillier, Dorman L. Noggle, Robert Campbell; Second Lieuts., Andrew H.
Hunt, Charles A. Rathbun, George R. Wright, Dorman L. Noggle, Burr
Maxwell, Delos H. Cady, Martin H. McDevitt, Alexander See, George R.
Wright, Dorman L. Noggle, Levi Westinghouse, Robert Campbell, Benjamin
Brown. This battery was organized at Beloit, Sept. 14, 1861, and was
sent to Camp Utley, Racine, Sept. 19. It was mustered in Oct. 1 and left
the state Jan. 21, 1862, for Washington, but was sent at once to
Fortress Monroe, where it was put in charge of the barbette guns and
spent the summer. It had the honor of firing the gun "Union" during the
engagement between the Monitor and Merrimac. When fully equipped it was
sent to Camp Hamilton near Hampton, Va., and was engaged there in
garrison duty until Jan. 11, 1863. It was then ordered to Suffolk and
assisted in the defense against Longstreet during April. It was at West
Point during May, constructing fortifications, and joined Keyes'
expedition toward Richmond in June, a junction with Dix's forces being
effected on the 29th. The battery went into camp at Yorktown July 10,
was ordered to Gloucester Point Aug. 25, and remained there until Oct.
11, when it was attached to Getty's command at Portsmouth for permanent
duty. It engaged in small expeditions and reconnoissances until April
23, 1864, when it was assigned to the artillery brigade, 1st division,
18th army corps, which moved up the James river and took part in the two
days engagements about Fort Clinton on the Appomattox. It was under fire
at Proctor's creek, near Drewry's bluff and covered the army's rear as
it retired. It took position in the intrenchments on Bermuda Hundred,
where it remained until June 4, when it was attached to Kautz's cavalry
division, with which it participated in the early assaults on
Petersburg, at one time being exposed for 2 hours to a concentrated fire
of 14 guns. On July 8 the entire battery was converted into horse
artillery and on the 27th the left section moved with the cavalry and
participated in the battle of Malvern hill. The right section made a
short expedition at the same time to Lighthouse point on the James and
on Aug. 4 went to Prince George Court House. The battery returned to
Petersburg and was in numerous engagements with the Army of the Potomac
in and about Richmond. It was mustered out July 3, 1865. Its original
strength was 151. Gain by recruits, 62; substitutes, 38; reenlistments,
43; total, 294. Loss by death, 24; missing, 1; desertion, 15; transfer,
1; discharge, 82; mustered out, 171.