Primary Source Material
on the Soldiers and the Battles
Home The Armies The Soldiers The Battles Civilians Articles
If this website has been useful to you, please consider making a Donation.

Your support will help keep this website free for everyone, and will allow us to do more research. Thank you for your support!

33rd Wisconsin Infantry

Regimental History
Thirty-third Infantry.— Col., Jonathan B. Moore; Lieut. -Cols., Frederick S. Lovell, Horatio H. Virgin; Majs., Horatio H. Virgin, George R. Frank. This regiment was organized at Camp Utley, Racine, in Sept., 1862, was mustered in Oct. 18, and left the state Nov. 12. It was sent to Memphis and assigned to the 3d brigade of Gen. Lauman's division, in the right wing of the Army of the Tennessee, Col. Moore commanding the brigade. The regiment joined the movement toward Jackson and Vicksburg in November, building bridges enroute to replace those burned by the enemy in his retreat. It was transferred to the 1st brigade, 4th division, and went into winter quarters at Moscow, Tenn., suffering greatly for want of suitable food. It was transferred to the 16th corps, and on March 9, 1863, was ordered to Memphis. In April it was in the advance on the enemy at the Coldwater river, driving his skirmishers 25 miles one day and concluding with a sharp fight that night at Hernando. The following day the regiment had the advance and poured a destructive fire upon the Confederates, driving them across the river. It took possession of the fortifications at Snyder's bluff in May, then moved to Vicksburg and took a position close to the works, where it was under constant fire until the surrender. It attacked the rifle-pits on the night of June 4 with such vigor that the enemy was driven back to the main works. On the night of the 13th Co. D charged a hill, drove the enemy from the rifle-pits in confusion, but not being supported was compelled to retire, though it retook them the following night, when the position was held. On the night of the 21st six companies drove in the enemy's pickets and dug rifle-pits within 85 yards of a large fort. The ground was lost the next day, but five companies of the regiment regained it at night in a 15 minutes' fight and held it until the end of the siege. The regiment was ordered to Jackson and with the brigade drove in the enemy, capturing his ammunition train. The 33d made a reconnoissance towards the Pearl river, but met a heavy force and only escaped capture or annihilation through its steadiness and the coolness of its officers. It returned to Vicksburg and in August was ordered to Natchez, where it remained until December. It went into quarters at Milldale until Feb. 3, 1864, when it joined the Meridian expedition. In March it was ordered to join the Red River expedition, reached Fort De Russy on the 15th, and was engaged in guard duty for the transport fleet up the Red river in April, but was compelled to return because of the Sabine cross-roads disaster. It repulsed three attacks of a large force at Pleasant Hill landing, reached Grand Ecore, and repelled an attack at Cloutierville. It was in a severe engagement at Cane river the following day, defeating the enemy after a 2 hours' fight and was in reserve at Alexandria. It participated in the successful engagement at Moore's plantation ; was in an engagement near Marksville; was in reserve at Yellow bayou, and was then sent to Vicksburg and Memphis. It left Memphis late in June on an expedition through Mississippi and repulsed two attacks on a supply train near Carmargo cross-roads in July. It held the extreme right of the front line in the battle of Tupelo and was in the charge that drove the enemy from the field. It was attacked at Old Town creek, but formed in line, advanced under a severe fire across a long bridge and causeway, and drove the enemy from his position with terrible punishment. The official report says of the 33d: "Too much praise cannot be awarded to officers and men for their gallantry, and it is stated with pride that during these actions not a man straggled from the regiment." It was engaged in guard duty and building fortifications at St. Charles, Ark., until Sept. 1, when it was ordered to Brownsville, and on the 17th set out in pursuit of Price. After severe marching under great difficulties, it reached Cape Girardeau, Mo., and proceeded to St. Louis, Jefferson City, Lamine bridge and Warrensburg. It was on guard duty at St. Louis, the greater part of November and was then ordered to Nashville, where it took part in the battle. It reached Clifton, Tenn., Jan. 2, 1865; was on train guard at Grand View, and rejoined the brigade at Eastport, Miss., on the 14th. It participated in skirmishes at Corinth and near Iuka, was sent to Vicksburg in February, thence to New Orleans, Dauphin island, Cedar point and Smith's mills, skirmishing at intervals. It arrived at Spanish Fort and was the first organized regiment to enter the main fort, having been under fire much of the time during the siege. It was in reserve at Fort Blakely, reached Montgomery, Ala., Apr. 23, Tuskegee on the 25th, and remained on provost duty until July 19. It rejoined the brigade at Montgomery and was ordered to Vicksburg, where it was mustered out Aug. 8. Its original strength was 892. Gain by recruits, 174; substitutes, 2; total, 1,066. Loss by death, 196; missing, 4; desertion, 22; transfer, 37; discharge, 170; mustered out, 637.

Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing Company, 1908 - Volume 4

Whats New
About Us

Copyright 2010 by
A Division of