Primary Source Material
on the Soldiers and the Battles
Home The Armies The Soldiers The Battles Civilians Articles
If this website has been useful to you, please consider making a Donation.

Your support will help keep this website free for everyone, and will allow us to do more research. Thank you for your support!

6th Ohio Independent Cavalry Company

Regimental History
Sixth Independent Cavalry Company. Capts., Jeptha Garrard, George F. Dern; First Lieuts., James K. Wilson, Henry M. Ensminger; Second Lieuts., Joseph C. Grannan, William V. Lawrence. This company was recruited in the counties of Greene and Hamilton in Aug. and Sept., 1861, and rendezvoused at Camp Dennison near Cincinnati. On Sept. 23 it was ordered to Washington, D. C, and after persistent effort by the captain it was armed, equipped and splendidly mounted. Strict discipline being maintained, the men made rapid progress in their new profession. The company was finally attached to the 3d N. Y. cavalry as Co. L, and on Jan. 9, 1862, joined the regiment at Camp Bates near Poolesville. On March 1 the company crossed the Potomac river at Harper's Ferry and moved to the outposts beyond Charlestown, Va. Berryville was soon occupied and on the following morning the company engaged in a skirmish with Ashby's cavalry driving them several miles. It then marched to Winchester, where it made a successful dash at Ashby and Stuart, returned to Harper's Ferry and on the day of the battle of Winchester marched for Washington, D. C, remaining there until the latter part of April when it moved to Alexandria preparatory to embarking for North Carolina arriving at New Berne on May 12. Until Sept. 1 the company was occupied in scouting and in expeditions to the interior, when it moved to Washington, N. C, to join the expedition to the Roanoke in the direction of Hamilton. On Sept. 6 the expedition moved, this company taking the advance, when a volley of musketry was heard on the opposite side of the town. Capt. Garrard wheeled the advance, dashed in the direction of the firing, and the Confederates were completely routed with a heavy loss, the company having 10 men wounded and 14 horses killed and disabled. In then proceeded to Plymouth and 10 days later to New Berne. It was engaged in scouting and picket duty until Dec. 11, when Gen. Foster moved from New Berne, intending to penetrate if possible to Raleigh. During this movement the company acted as provost guard of the army and shared in the battles of Kinston, White Hall and Goldsboro bridge. In the siege of Washington, which immediately followed the Confederate attack on New Berne, in March, 1863, the company was kept continually on the scout. It shared in all the raids, scouts, skirmishes and battles around Richmond in the spring of 1864, losing heavily in killed, wounded and captured, and when the company's time expired but very few were left to muster out. During its term of service it furnished to the army 1 colonel, 1 major, 4 captains and 14 lieutenants.

Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing Company, 1908 - Volume 2

Whats New
About Us


Copyright 2010 by
A Division of