CIVIL WAR INDEX
Primary Source Material
on the Soldiers and the Battles
Home The Armies The Soldiers The Battles Civilians Articles
 
If this website has been useful to you, please consider making a Donation.

Your support will help keep this website free for everyone, and will allow us to do more research. Thank you for your support!

2nd Ohio Heavy Artillery

Online Books
2nd Ohio Heavy Artillery Soldier Roster - Official Roster of the Soldiers of the State of Ohio in the War of the Rebellion, 1861-1866, Volume 10, by Ohio Roster Commission (Joseph B. Foraker, Governor, James S. Robinson, Sec'y of State and H. A. Axline, Adjutant-General), 1886     View Entire Book

Regimental History
Second Heavy Artillery. Col., Horatio G. Gibson; Lieut.-Col., Martin B. Ewing; Majs., William S. Irwin, Daniel W. Hoffman, Lafayette Hammond, Lemon S. Powell. This regiment was organized at Camp Dennison from June to Sept., 1863, to serve for three years. The companies during the greater part of their service were separated from each other. Co. A was first stationed at Covington Barracks, Ky. ; in October it was sent to Fort Jones on Muldraugh's hill; on Jan. 10, 1864, one-half the company moved to Fort DeWolf, near Shepherdsville ; in May to Cleveland, Tenn. ; in August it was engaged with the enemy ; in October it moved to Loudon; in November it moved to open communications with the forces then engaged with the enemy at Strawberry Plains ; then returned to Knoxville and in December moved to Bean's station ; thence to Southwestern Virginia ; again returned to Knoxville, moved from that place to Camp Rothrock, and in Jan., 1865, to Fort Sanders. Co. B was first moved to Covington Barracks, Ky. ; thence to Bowling Green ; in May, 1864, to Charleston, Tenn.; in August it was at Cleveland and took part in an engagement at that place; in October it moved to Fort Sanders and Knoxville ; in November moved to open communications with the Union forces at Strawberry Plains; returned to Knoxville; in December marched to Bean's station ; again returned to Knoxville, moving immediately thereafter to Camp Rothrock and Fort Byington. Co. C moved to Bowling Green, Ky. ; in May, 1864, was sent to Charleston, Tenn. ; while there it engaged with the enemy in August ; thence marched in pursuit of the Confederate cavalry and participated in the subsequent operations with the rest of the regiment; returned to Knoxville in December, thence moved to Loudon. Co. D moved to the fort on Muldraugh's hill ; thence in May went into garrison at Tyner's station, where it remained until October ; was then transferred to Loudon, Tenn. ; in November it marched to open communications with the Union forces at Strawberry Plains; returned to Knoxville and a few days thereafter marched to Bean's station; it again returned to Knoxville. Co. E moved to Muldraugh's hill to garrison Fort Boyle; in May, 1864, was ordered to Camp Sedgwick, near Cleveland, Tenn.; in August had its first engagement with the enemy; participated with the rest of the regiment in the subsequent movements ; in December returned to Knoxville, and in Jan., 1865, moved to Loudon. Co. F moved to Bowling Green, Ky., where it remained until May, 1864; then moved to Charleston, Tenn., where it was engaged with the enemy; subsequently shared in the movements of the regiment ; in December returned to Knoxville, and in January moved to Loudon. Co. G moved to Bowling Green, Ky., where it remained until May, 1864, when it was transferred to Charleston, Tenn.; in August moved to Cleveland and took part in an engagement with the enemy; then moved with the other companies and in Feb., 1865, to Athens. Co. H moved to Munfordville, Ky. ; remained in garrison at Battery McConnell until May, 1864; was then ordered to Camp Sedgwick at Cleveland, Tenn. ; was engaged with the enemy's cavalry under Wheeler and joined Steedman's column in pursuit; thereafter it shared with the others in the subsequent operations. Co. I moved to Fort De Wolf at Shepherdsville, Ky., where it remained until Jan., 1864, when it went to Fort Nelson ; in May it moved to Camp Sedgwick at Cleveland, Tenn., where it engaged the enemy ; in October it was transferred to Fort Galpin at Knoxville; in December it marched to Bean's station; returned to Knoxville and thence to Nashville. Co. K first moved to Munfordville ; in May, 1864, was transferred to Charleston, Tenn., where it was engaged with the enemy and participated in the subsequent movements; remained at Clinch gap until December, when it returned to Knoxville; shortly thereafter it was ordered to Greeneville and thence to Nashville. Co. L moved to Fort Boone, Frankfort, Ky. ; was transferred in December to Battery Simons, Munfordville; in May, 1864, marched to Camp Sedgwick at Cleveland, Tenn., as guard to the regimental wagon-train; in August moved to Charleston, where it participated in the engagement with the Confederate cavalry, and in the subsequent movements until it reached Strawberry Plains. Co. M moved to Fort Willich, Munfordville, Ky. ; in Jan., 1864, it was transferred to Fort Taylor, Camp Nelson, where it remained on duty up to May; Camp Sedgwick, Cleveland, Tenn., was the next scene of its operations, and from this point it participated with the rest of the regiment in the operations ; in Feb., 1865, it was at Athens. The regiment was mustered out of service on Aug. 23, 1865, in accordance with orders from the war department.

Footnotes:
Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing Company, 1908 - Volume 2

Whats New
Bibliography
About Us


 

Copyright 2010 by CivilWarIndex.com
A Division of Pier-Pleasure.com