|If this website has been useful to you, please consider
making a Donation.
Your support will help keep this website free for everyone, and will allow us to do
more research. Thank you for your support!
11th Ohio Cavalry
Cavalry Soldier Roster - Official Roster of the Soldiers of the
State of Ohio in the War of the Rebellion, 1861-1866, Volume 11, by Ohio
Roster Commission (Joseph B. Foraker, Governor, James S. Robinson, Sec'y of
State and H. A. Axline, Adjutant-General), 1886
View Entire Book
|Eleventh Cavalry. — Lieut.-Cols., William O. Collins,
Thomas L. Mackey; Majs., John O. Ferrell, Bolivar C. Converse, Levi G.
Marshall, William H. Evans. Cos. A, B, C and D of this regiment were
organized as the 7th Ohio cavalry, but were consolidated on Dec. 19,
1861, with the 6th cavalry, forming the 1st battalion of that regiment,
the whole being then rendezvoused at Camp Dennison. On March 13, 1862,
the 1st battalion, under command of Lieut.-Col Collins, was detached
from the 6th cavalry and ordered to report to Gen. Halleck, at St.
Louis, Mo., by whom it was ordered to proceed to Fort Laramie, D. T.
(now Wyoming), where it arrived on May 30, 1862, having marched overland
from Fort Leavenworth, Kan., a distance of about 640 miles. During the
summer of 1862, the battalion was permanently detached from the regiment
and designated as the "First Independent Battalion Ohio Volunteer
Cavalry." A battalion of four companies (E, F, G and H) was organized at
Camps Dennison and Chase, Ohio, from June 26 to July 31, 1863, when the
two battalions were consolidated and designated the 11th Ohio cavalry.
The 2nd battalion was called into service during John Morgan's raid
through Ohio, and after the capture and dispersion of his force returned
to Camp Dennison. Leaving Camp Dennison on Aug. 1, 1863, it reached Fort
Leavenworth, Kan., on the 13th. While there awaiting supplies the
sacking and burning of the town of Lawrence occurred and the battalion
was sent in pursuit of Quantrill. After marching about 150 miles it was
recalled, and on Sept. 2 proceeded across the plains for Fort Laramie,
where it arrived on Oct. 10. Cos. I, K and L were organized on June 30,
1864, at Fort Laramie, D. T., being composed of surplus recruits
assigned to the regiment. The ground of the operations of this regiment,
which was never actually together during its term of service, was in the
center of the Rocky mountains and the then hostile Indian country,
before the organization of the territory of Wyoming, when nearly all
that vast extent of territory was known as Dakota and Idaho. Its
principal duty was to guard the Pacific telegraph line and the overland
route of communication and supply, extending from Colorado and western
Nebraska and Kansas through Wyoming and Idaho to Utah and Oregon. With
the exception of Fort Laramie, the men of this regiment erected and
guarded all the military posts and stations established in 1864-65 on
the line of communication and supply indicated, to make the circuit of
which required 1,000 miles of travel. From March 1 to Sept. 5, 1865, a
single company of this regiment erected five posts, guarded 150 miles of
Pacific telegraph line, and its several detachments had 13 engagements
with Indians. Two companies, on an expedition to Powder and Tongue
rivers, took part in a charge upon and the burning of an Indian village,
marched 1,200 miles and were out 58 days. It is difficult to definitely
locate and designate the numerous engagements between the detachments
and the Indians, but the following is a list of the principal battles,
compiled after a careful research, during the preparation of this work:
South Pass, Sweet Water bridge, Mud Springs Station, Rush creek, near
Laparelle creek, near Poison creek, Fort Marshall, Deer Creek Station,
Camp Marshall, Deer creek, St. Mary's Station, Elkhorn, near Deer creek,
Sage Creek Station, Sweet Water bridge, Rock creek, Platte bridge (Ft.
Caspar), Powder river, Indian village (Tongue River). Cos. A, B, C and D
were mustered out on April 1, 1865, at Omaha, Neb., by reason of
expiration of term of service. The remaining companies, being the last
volunteer troops from Ohio in service, were mustered out on July 14,
1866, at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., by order of the war department.
Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing
Company, 1908 - Volume 2