Primary Source Material
on the Soldiers and the Battles
Home The Armies The Soldiers The Battles Civilians Articles
If this website has been useful to you, please consider making a Donation.

Your support will help keep this website free for everyone, and will allow us to do more research. Thank you for your support!

7th New York Artillery Heavy

Online Books:
7th New York Artillery Heavy Soldier Roster - Annual Report of the Adjutant General of the State of New York For the Year 1893, Volume 11     View the Entire Book

Regimental History
Seventh New York Artillery (Heavy), — Cols., Lewis O. Morris, Joseph S. Conrad, Edward A. Springsteed, Richard C. Duryea; Lieut. -Cols., John Hastings, Edward A. Springsteed, Joseph M. Murphy, John F. Mount; Majs., Edward A. Springsteed, Samuel A. Anable, E. Willard Smith, Francis Pruyn, John F. Mount, Joseph M. Murphy, Abram Sickles, Charles W. Hobbs. This regiment, known as the Albany county regiment, or Seymour Guard, was recruited in the summer of 1862 by Col. Morris and was first designated the 113th infantry. It rendezvoused at Albany and was there mustered into the U. S. service for three years, Aug. 18, 1862. It was changed to an artillery regiment on Dec. 19, and two new companies were organized and attached to the regiment, one on Aug. 6, 1863, and the other on Jan. 19, 1864. The whole command was recruited in the county of Albany. On June 26, 1865, all members whose terms would expire Oct. 1, 1865, were mustered out and the regiment was consolidated into a battalion of four companies under Col. Duryea. This battalion, commanded by Maj. Mount, was mustered out at Federal hill, Baltimore, Aug. 1, 1865. This regiment is included by Col. Fox, "Regimental Losses in the Civil War," in his list of three hundred fighting regiments. He says: "It moved to Washington, Aug. 19, 1862, where it was immediately assigned to duty in the forts near the city. * * * The 7th remained on garrison duty in various forts near Washington until May 15, 1864, when it was ordered to the front to serve as infantry. It marched out of Washington with 67 officers, 6 non-commissioned staff and 1,768 muskets, joining Grant's army at Spottsylvania May 17th. It was assigned to Tyler's division, but was transferred a few days later to Barlow's splendid division, and at one time — in September, 1864, it was attached to the famous Irish brigade. It served with Barlow until Feb. 22, 1865, when it was withdrawn from the front and ordered to Baltimore, where it garrisoned Fort McHenry until after the close of the war. During its first hundred days of service in the field — from Spottsylvania to Reams' station — the 7th lost 1,254 in killed, wounded and missing. The casualties at Cold Harbor, including the loss in the trenches, amounted to 45 killed, 259 wounded, and 114 missing, a total of 418. Col. Morris was killed there the day after the assault, while passing along the trenches. He was an officer of the regular army and a son of the Capt. Morris who was killed at Monterey." Among other extraordinary losses incurred by the regiment were 135 killed, wounded and missing at Totopotomy, 501 in the assaults on Petersburg in June, and 94 at Reams' station. It ranks third among the nine heavy artillery regiments which sustained the greatest loss in killed and mortally wounded in the war, having lost 14 officers and 277 men, or a total of 291; 4 officers and 378 men died of disease and other causes, a total of 677, of whom 2 officers and 214 men died as prisoners.

Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing Company, 1908 - Volume 2

Whats New
About Us

Copyright 2010 by
A Division of