Primary Source Material
on the Soldiers and the Battles
Home The Armies The Soldiers The Battles Civilians Articles
If this website has been useful to you, please consider making a Donation.

Your support will help keep this website free for everyone, and will allow us to do more research. Thank you for your support!

5th New York Artillery Heavy

Online Books:
5th New York Artillery Heavy Soldier Roster - Annual Report of the Adjutant General of the State of New York For the Year 1893, Volume 10     View the Entire Book

Regimental History
Fifth New York Artillery (Heavy). — Cols., Samuel Graham, Edward Murray; Lieut.-Cols., Edward Murray, Henry B. McIlvaine; Majs., Henry B. McIlvaine, Eugene McGrath, Frederick C. Wilkie, Casper Urban, Henry B. Wilder, Gustavus F. Merriam, John H. Graham, William H. Boyle. This regiment, known as the 2nd regiment, Jackson heavy artillery, was organized in New York city, the first two battalions being recruited principally in the counties of New York and Kings by Cols. Graham and Murray, and the 70th militia contributing a number of men to the regiment. These battalions were mustered into the U. S. service in April, 1862, for three years. The regimental organization was completed on Dec. 31, 1862, by the transfer of the 3d battalion of Black River artillery, forming Cos. K, L and M. These companies had been recruited in the counties of Jefferson and Lewis, and mustered into the U. S. service at Sacket's Harbor, Sept. 11-12, for three years. The members of the original eight companies, except veterans, were mustered out on the expiration of their term of service, the veterans and recruits being continued in service. The first eight companies organized were employed for the first two months in garrisoning the different fortifications in New York harbor. In the latter part of May, 1862, they went to Baltimore, Md. On June 19, Cos. A and F were detached and under the command of Maj. McIlvaine were sent to Harper's Ferry, where they were surrendered in Sept., 1862, at the time of Stonewall Jackson's capture of that place. They subsequently rejoined the regiment at Baltimore, after being paroled. The 3d battalion was stationed in the defenses of Washington for nearly a year, but was ordered to Harper's Ferry, in Nov., 1863, where it was joined the following April by the other two battalions, the regiment being employed in guarding Maryland heights and in fatigue duties. The 1st battalion — Cos. A, B, C and D — was detached in May, 1864, for service in the field with the 1st brigade, 1st division, Army of West Virginia (8th corps), and fought at Piedmont, Lexington, Buchanan, Lynchburg, Liberty and Salem. On the occasion of Early's attack on Harper's Ferry in July, the regiment performed excellent service and sustained a considerable loss. On July 29, 1864, the 1st battalion was relieved in the field by the 2nd — Cos. E, F, G and H — under command of Maj. Urban, and the latter took part in all the great battles of the valley under Gen. Sheridan, being active at Snicker's ferry, where it lost 69 killed, wounded and missing, at Winchester, Martinsburg, Cedar creek, Charlestown, Halltown, Berryville, the Opequan, where it lost 43, Fisher's hill, two actions at Cedar creek in October, loss 53, and 309 respectively, 301 being captured in the second engagement. On Oct. 28, the battalion returned to Harper's Ferry. The regiment served both as infantry and heavy artillery and was mustered out at Harper's Ferry, July 19, 1865, under command of Col. Graham. It lost during service 98 men killed and died of wounds; 1 officer and 293 enlisted men died of disease, accidents, and other causes; total deaths, 392, of whom 76 died as prisoners.

Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing Company, 1908 - Volume 2

Whats New
About Us

Copyright 2010 by
A Division of