Primary Source Material
on the Soldiers and the Battles
Home The Armies The Soldiers The Battles Civilians Articles
If this website has been useful to you, please consider making a Donation.

Your support will help keep this website free for everyone, and will allow us to do more research. Thank you for your support!

173rd New York Infantry

Online Books:
173rd New York Infantry Soldier Roster - Annual Report of the Adjutant General of the State of New York For the Year 1893, Volume 41     View the Entire Book

Regimental History
One Hundred and Seventy-third New York Infantry. — Cols., Charles B. Morton, Lewis M. Peck; Lieut. -Cols., Lewis M. Peck, William N. Green, Jr., Mellen T. Holbrook; Majs., A. Power Galloway, George W. Rogers. This regiment, known as the 4th Metropolitan Guard, and 4th National Guard, was recruited in the cities of New York and Brooklyn by the police departments of those cities, as one of the Metropolitan brigade. It was organized at Riker's island and there mustered into the U. S. service for three years on Nov. 10, 1862. On leaving the state, Dec. 9, the regiment sailed for Louisiana, where it was assigned to the 2nd brigade of Emory's (3d) division, 19th corps. It came under fire for the first time at Fort Bisland, losing 7 killed and wounded, and a detachment under Capt. Conrady skirmished at Breaux bridge, Bayou Teche. The regiment took an active part in the siege of Port Hudson, where its total loss was 92 killed and wounded. Among the mortally wounded in the second assault on June 14, was Maj. Galloway. It was engaged at Carrion Crow bayou in Nov., 1863, and the following spring, in the 3d brigade of Emory's division, 19th corps, it took part in Banks' Red River campaign, being engaged in the fights at Sabine cross-roads, Pleasant Hill and Mansura, its loss in the first two battles being 232 killed, wounded and missing. Lieut.-Col. Green was killed at Pleasant Hill. Though the regiment was not again engaged in battle after the close of this campaign, it continued in active service. In July, 1864, it accompanied the 1st and 2nd divisions to Virginia and became a part of Sheridan's Army in the Shenandoah. It was on detached service with Currie's brigade at Harper's Ferry during the battle of Winchester, and at the time of the battle of Cedar creek was guarding wagon trains and was not engaged in the fight. The regiment remained with Dwight's (1st) division in the valley until April, 1865, and then moved to Washington for a number of weeks. The war was now over, and after taking part in the grand review it was ordered to Savannah, and was there mustered out under Col. Peck, Oct. 18, 1865. The regiment lost during service in killed and mortally wounded, 6 officers and 45 enlisted men; died of disease and other causes, 2 officers and 126 enlisted men, a total of 179.

Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing Company, 1908 - Volume 2

Whats New
About Us

Copyright 2010 by
A Division of