Primary Source Material
on the Soldiers and the Battles
Home The Armies The Soldiers The Battles Civilians Articles
If this website has been useful to you, please consider making a Donation.

Your support will help keep this website free for everyone, and will allow us to do more research. Thank you for your support!

Civil War Soldiers - Couch

Couch, Darius N., major-general, U.S. Army, was born in South East, Putnam county, N. Y., July 23, 1822, and was graduated at the United States military academy at West Point in 1846, entering immediately thereafter upon active service in the Mexican war. He was brevetted first lieutenant for gallantry at Buena Vista, and was later, upon the promotion of Capt. Washington to the command of the artillery battalion of Gen. Taylor's army, made adjutant. After service in the Seminole war, at various artillery posts, and in the department of natural history in the Smithsonian institution, he resigned from the army in 1855, and engaged, until 1857, in business in New York city, and afterwards, until the Civil war, in manufacturing in Norton, Mass. In 1861 he offered his services to Gov. Andrew, and was appointed colonel of the 7th Mass. volunteers. He was given a commission as brigadier-general, dating from May 17, 1861, and was promoted major-general of volunteers July 4, 1862. On the reorganization of the Army of the Potomac, he was assigned a division in Gen. Keyes' corps, with which he distinguished himself at Fair Oaks, Williamsburg and Malvern hill, and later commanded a division in the retreat from Manassas to Washington, Aug. 30 to Sept. 2, 1862, and took part in the battle of Antietam in Franklin's corps. He took a prominent part in the battles of Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, being twice wounded in the latter engagement and having his horse killed under him. He commanded the Department of the Susquehanna from June 11, 1863, to Dec. 1, 1864, and was then at the head of the 2nd division of the 23d army corps until May, 1865. He was present at the battle of Nashville, and took part in the operations in North Carolina in Feb., 1865. He resigned, May 25, 1865, was the unsuccessful candidate for governor of Massachusetts that year, and in 1866 was appointed by President Johnson collector of the port of Boston, serving from October of that year until March 4, 1867, when he was forced to vacate the office, the senate having refused to approve the appointment. He became president of a Virginia mining and manufacturing company in 1867, but subsequently moved to Norwalk, Conn., and was quartermaster of the state from 1876 to 1878 and adjutant-general in 1883 and 1884. He died in Norwalk, Conn., Feb. 12, 1897.

Source: The Union Army: A History of Military Affairs in the Loyal States 1861-1865, Volume 8 Biographical, 1908

Whats New
About Us

Copyright 2010 by
A Division of